Studio projects Monday April 19 2010 08:41 am
Here is a great example of something I really like about letterpress.
We have a friend who is currently the president of the Newark, Delaware branch of the AAUW (American Association of University Women). She showed us the certificates they had been giving out for an award to young women who were high school juniors and excelled at science and mathematics. The certificates were the same as about 99.5% of all certificates given out at schools. Laser printed, awful design, poor typography, poorly written, mediocre paper…
Could we help?
We provided what we thought was a cleaner design (plus we got to throw in a few moustaches), giving credit to AAUW Delaware, and printing on a nice thick paper with plenty of impression for the 52 individual certificates.
We used grey and AAUW teal for the certificate and black for the handset name (42pt Garamond), high school, and date (24pt Garamond).
The snag in the process what that even though we had a great system to doing the handsetting it took us about three times longer for that part than we thought. We have a very thorough run of Garamond foundry type with a lot of each size so we set about 40 of the certificates before we ran out of the first sort.
The certificate itself was printed from photopolymer plates.
Even though we proofed all of the handset text beforehand (in full galleys) we thought it might be important to lock the type in place and just print it individually one more time so we could look for small details like broken serifs, etc. We took some wine colored French Paper and cut it double size and printed the text on it for the proof and then used that as a folder to hold the certificates. That worked out very well with only the added cost of 30 sheets (20 x 26 cut in half worked perfectly) for the folders.
Here is what the folders looked like. It helped keep the certificates free from fingerprints and they could also be shown easily to others without having to drag it out of an envelope.
There seemed to be a lot of smiles in the photos our friend took at the ceremony. We hope we added to a few of them.
A fun way to spend a couple of mornings with our Vandercook Universal III.
Might be nice next time to get in some help (high school students or AAUW members) who could set the type. Might help them connect to the project even better. It would also be a great project for an intern, but we’ll worry about that next March or April.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.