Studio projects Friday November 07 2014 11:08 am
There is always a lot of work to do around Lead Graffiti that, while necessary or at least useful in helping us be more efficient or presentable, isn’t a very productive use of our time. If you’ll help us do those tasks we’ll trade you for press time for your letterpress projects or workshops we offer.
NOTE: Use of our equipment requires the completion of a technical workshop using that equipment. You’ll have to pay for that workshop in cash or traded time.
Our Creative Letterpress workshops are not accepted as the prerequisite for renting.
. . .
After you’ve taken the technical workshop and are trained to use and maintain the equipment in a professional manner you can use our equipment based on our ability to be in the studio with you.
Our tabletop presses rent for $10 an hour. Maximum printing area of 6″ x 8″.
Our Vandercook SP15 rents for $25 an hour. It is handcranked with maximum printing area of 14″ x 18″.
Our Vandercook Universal III rents for $35 an hour. It is automatic with maximum printing area of 18″ x 24″.
. . .
So, give us 1 hour of your time to help with our work and we will give you
1.25 hours of tabletop press time (works out to $12.50 an hour) or
30 minutes of Vandercook SP15 time ($12.50 an hour) or
20 minutes of Vandercook Universal III time ($11.67 an hour)
. . .
Additionally, you can give us 10 hours and we’ll give you the Vandercook Technical workshop ($12.00 an hour) after which you can do the rental thing with our Vandercooks.
. . .
You have to provide your own paper and photopolymer plates. We might have enough paper we buy in bulk in our inventory to offer at least some of our papers with a markup of 50% over our costs. You must pay for paper with money, typically paid with a credit card through Square at the studio. Clearly you have to make sure we have the paper you need above any paper we need for our own projects. You may also buy paper online and have it shipped to Lead Graffiti. The shipping is often cheaper because we are in an industrial versus a residential area.
A few examples:
Somerset Textured White - I need to figure this out
Crane Lettra Fluorescent White - I need to figure this out
Mohawk Superfine White Eggshell 80# text - I need to figure this out
Mohawk Superfine White Smooth 120# cover - I need to figure this out
French Paper - I need to figure this out
Canson or … - I need to figure this out
We’ll provide ink, access to our type inventory, and makeready / cleaning materials. When using our metal and wood type you CANNOT do deep impression worky—you’ll need photopolymer plates for that.
. . .
Here are a few of tasks we need done on a fairly regular basis.
1) redistribute type from our Creative Letterpress workshops (takes us about 6 - 8 hours).
2) generally clean up; straighten paper & bookboard offcuts; sweep around the studio, Intertype, & lead saw; make spider webs disappear, sort leading & furniture, sort spacing material
3) fold and bind Creative Letterpress workshop meander books
4) help with binding books related to our projects
5) sort printed samples, portfolio and TdLG cards into sleeves
6) wrap things for mailings
7) transfer metal type between galleys & job cases
we might even consider help with our Creative Letterpress workshops
9) help us track down our unknown wood & metal typefaces
We can also trade your time for our letterpress or bookmaking workshops.
. . .
A few additional thoughts or bridges we may have to cross:
1) It may be that if even a small number of students take us up on this there won’t be anything we need done
2) You have to do your part first and build up a savings account of time to trade.
3) We will have a fairly intolerant attitude toward anyone that violates our trust or our equipment or our type and that violation will surely end in stopping your relationship with Lead Graffiti.
. . .
We will be happy to offer an estimate of how long it should take you for your project so you can plan accordingly. If you need more time to finish a project you MAY have to pay for that time or work out a deal for trading additional time which must be done in a reasonable amount of time.
Use of our equipment can be for personal, classwork or commercial projects. We do not expect money or credit for any of your projects. You can even operate under a name of your choosing for your press. When you are using our equipment you can even bring a friend with you either as a helper (may help you get more done in less time) or to just introduce them to letterpress.